Monday, April 18, 2011

Prayer

This week is the epitome of Holy for me, I bring to you my concerns about how I pray. I have a confession; prayer is a huge struggle for me! I have been asking that God helps my heart speak to him in a way that is not anything but true needs; but it ends there. I start to pray and about 99% of the time my thoughts get jumbled and I lose my track of mind then I end up apologizing for my lack of getting my point across! God, for being All Holy sure makes me feel at ease in my life but with prayer I clam up! I follow two guidelines from the Bible when praying:

Matthew 7:7
"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you."

Matthew 6:7-8
"and in praying do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.


Here is my hang up...if God's will for me is what it is; how the heck do I pray what he already knows? He knows what's best for me, and what his will is for me, I am just walking the path he reveals to me. Take the drought in Texas that is causing a state of disaster with fires for instance, my prayers are with Texas, my heart is there to pray but will my prayer actually change God's will? God has the master plan, he created the master plan, I fully trust HIS plan so how can I pray and ask for what *I* think is the right plan? My prayers usually go something like this:
God if it is in your will, please comfort those that are suffering and those that need peace. You know what is best for them, you have the power to declare their wellness through hurt or tears, you have the power to keep them safe when they feel alone. . . .

It feels generic. I am pleased to have found that when you don't know what to pray to pray the Lord's Prayer:

Matthew 6:9-15
Pray then like this:
Our Father who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
     on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
     as we forgive those who have trespassed against us.
Lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil
     For thine is the kingdom and the power and the Glory
Forever and ever; Amen.

Is that enough? I feel like I am missing something, how do you pray? Is it directly from your heart even when you don't know what to say? Or do you have a method? I would really like to hear!

1 comment:

  1. I think anything you pray from your heart is enough for God. There are many times when I'm praying and I don't have the right words, but He knows. Very thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Please feel free to post your thoughts!