Saturday, January 8, 2011

Budget

Al and I have been married 6 years. We didn't establish a lot when we got married, so when we hit our lowest point last year, we decided to start establishing some things for our relationship. A way to "get off (again) on the right foot". One of those things that needed to be done, but I desperately fought it was determining a budget, and *sticking* to it. It's been something that Al has NAGGED ME ENDLESSLY ABOUT tried desperately in the most loving way possible to urge me to agree to helping him set up a budget. It wasn't that I was opposed to a budget, and it wasn't that I don't know how to have a budget (I lived on my own for a while when I was single and I ran a pretty successful budget if I do say so myself!) it's just that it was always a source of conflict for us, because we view money spending completely differently and add the fact that Al's income being a self employed electrician is always changing, I just couldn't wrap my head around getting it on paper. I will openly admit I enjoyed openly spending (justified of course!) and I always had money to spend, so we slid by for 6 years without a budget.

That changed last week. Our counselor walked us through setting up a spending plan. We set up envelopes for spending. I made the commitment to follow this budget because I truly feel it will be good for us as a couple to embrace stability in our home and for future saving. It's been a week and I am feeling the change. It's a struggle because I was used to fluidity and now I am going into envelopes and having a set amount to work with. I am not surprised that I am feeling some overwhelmed and hopeless feelings, I think that's why I was avoiding having to have a budget, it's way easier to bury your head in the sand than to be the responsible participant of a budget. I am praying now that it gets easier and less unnatural! In the meantime, I have had great experiences so far as well. It's quite rewarding, even though it's hard!! Kinda like marriage right ? ;)

5 comments:

  1. Good for you, Karrie! I wish I could do this. I desperately need to. Your right, it's so easy to stick your head in the sand and ignore it...I'm such a careless spender. We would be so much better off on a budget but Kev is even worse at spending money than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, thats wonderful. I have friends that do verrrry well with the envelope system & love it! What a great reminder! xo LA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually heard great things about the envelope method of budgeting! I hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Karrie,
    Totally hear you on the budget thing. We are making these changes too...soon...once we unpack ;-) We did the envelope method a few years ago and got my husbands car paid off really quick...it can work...but like everything it's a challenge! :-) Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog! ~Kimberly

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Please feel free to post your thoughts!