Monday, April 9, 2012

Who hid the eggs?

"Mom, who hid the Easter eggs, you or the Easter Bunny" asks my 8 year old Acilia. Last week I had a strong feeling on my heart that I want to be the one to share with the kids that the story of "characters" like Santa, Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy, are just that...stories. I struggle with answering the "logical" questions that come out of the kids (Acilia is the one asking, Miles hasn't given it much thought yet) yesterday Acilia asked me the question about who hid the eggs...I stumbled, I had told Al that I wanted to share with Acilia that we are the "Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy" in her life, he suggested it would be a good idea to wait until AFTER Easter passes. I can't say I disagree, but I am just ready to have this talk! So last night when she asked about the eggs, I had an internal struggle as I tried to figure out how not to lie to her, yet honor my husband's wishes. I turned it around and asked her "Who do you think hid them?" That didn't suffice...so I just answered her, feeling a bit defeated "I did honey" I went on to tell her I think Easter bunny got confused because we had talked about having an egg hunt on "Easter's Eve" (as Acilia calls it). I think that bought me a little bit of time. I have my heart set on talking to Acilia about all the "truths" behind holidays, probably this week, I just am not quite sure how to start the conversation or exactly what to say. I do want to share with her the reason I am telling her is because we feel she is old enough to be "in on the secret" and how magical it is to be "in the know" while younger children still believe and enjoy the joys these characters bring! Lord help me! Parenthood is hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say! Please feel free to post your thoughts!