Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I made my own laundry detergent...Here is how it's going!

About a month ago, I got the "itch" one day to make some laundry detergent. There is a plethora of possibilities online; many ideas for how to make it, I found myself drawn to what I believe is the simplest of them all! Ingredients are: Fels Naptha, Borax and Arm and Hammer super washing soda. I collected my ingredients, instead of "fels naptha" soap, I opted for Toms bar soap, simply because it's natural (along with fels naptha) but it's scented too! Natural lavender scent anyone? Yes I am a sucker for lavender! I did my grating of the bar soap and mixed the other two ingredients, I bought a cute little jar from Hobby Lobby to "prettify" the project and I was all set. I believe it took a few loads to really get a feel for the "experiment". My jar was nearing empty this past weekend, exactly 4 Saturdays after my first batch was made, I grated the second bar of soap that came in the 2 pack and added some more of the mix and I now have a full jar again!. (I did pour some of the borax and super washing soda in throughout the 4 weeks to "stretch" my bar soap a little bit.) Overall, I am happy with my new detergent and will be sticking with this atleast for a while. After doing a rough estimate of how much we will save, I used to buy the Target brand detergent which is about $9 for a bottle that states it fills 64 loads. My original investment for homemade detergent was about $10. I will have to buy bar soap to make another batch, but I have plenty of Borax and Super washing soda to make atleast 1 maybe 2 more batches. By my calculations that's about $14 for 3-4 months of detergent vs. $10 for 1 month. Not bad for a small switch! Hubby is pleased too which always makes me feel good ;)

Here is the blog that I used as my guide for making the deterrent Yellow Brick Home when I got started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say! Please feel free to post your thoughts!