Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Green on who's side?

You know that saying "The grass is always greener on the other side"? Well, guess what.....I found the irony in it! :)

I've been hanging out with a friend I went to high school with. We have met a few times, the farmers market, or the pool, but majority of the time, I take Miles to her house, and he and her little boy have fun playing together. I love taking Miles to her house. It seems to have the perfect set up for playdates with small children. Not to mention, it's a nice house, one I admire, one I would love to have something like someday! Well, I swallowed my reservations and took my turn to host a playdate. I was cleaning this morning, getting all ready, and even mentioned to Al how I hate having people over (which I don't really, I just like my house to be perfect, and stress over it a bit. Once people are here, I always love it!!) and how I don't like our house, etc....I was ready in time for my friend to arrive with her two sons and she started at our greeting with what a nice house we have (Thank you!!) she came in and was walking around looking at everything, admiring the woodwork, etc. You see, me and her have completely different houses! My house is oooooolllllllddddd, it was built in the 1850's. Her house is nnnnnneeeewwwwww, I believe it's about 10 years old. My house has the "character" you find in old homes, lot's of wood, squeaky floors, dust piled in to the radiators. Her house is shiny and clean and "baby like" in it's newness and freshness. I go to her house, wishing I had what she has, she came to my house and was wishing she had what I have. We even joked about how we should trade houses!
Today's playdate taught me a few lessons about appreciating what I have, instead of always wanting something different. I have known this all along, I am a Christian and I know I "shall not covet". I am a sinning Christian though, and my nature sometimes is just to covet. God moves me back to where I need to be, and I am thankful I have a subtle reminder when I need it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say! Please feel free to post your thoughts!