Saturday, December 5, 2009

Whew! It's behind us!

Surgery is done! Surgery is done! Surgery is done! Al has a functioning kidney and we are both on our way to recovery!! All this time, all the anticipation and it's past us in the blink of an eye! God is good, God is amazing! God orchestrated all of this and we are just thankful that he has blessed us in such a great way! We went in Thursday morning, 5:45 am. We didn't sleep the whole night before...nerves, anxious, excited, everything balled into one! We got there early, so we waited for a while, but once the check in opened, I was pleasantly surprised with how smooth everything went. I was scheduled for surgery at 7:30 and I think they wheeled me back about 7:40. Of course once you start with the oxygen mask, there is nothing to remember. I was out, and before I know it, I am eyes fluttering in recovery. The rest of the day, I could not keep my eyes open. I was out. So tired, so out of it. The day is truly a blur. I hear there was a lot of hustle and bustle about Al that night. My parent's were pretty worried. They were told when he was wheeled to surgery, it would be about 3-4 hours...well, it ended up being about 8 hours! He was wheeled to the floor at about 8:30 pm, stable and recovering, with a NEW...WORKING...KIDNEY!!!! The surgeon told us at one point that he urinated over a liter in the OR! This may sound odd to mention, but for us, that's a HUGE milestone! Albert had not urinated in over 2 years, think about it, something you do countless times throughout your life, something you take as "just part of the day"...now, take it away. Imagine what that would be like. Then imagine that being what proves that the kidney inside of you is functioning!! It's pretty exciting isn't it?? I thought so!
It's amazing what God does with our Earthly resources!! The fact that we are born with 2 kidneys, but only truly need one to function completely normal, leads me to believe, that we are all meant to find a kidney recipient and share the gift of life!

1 comment:

  1. Karrie, I am so happy for you and Al! It really is such a huge miracle. We have so much to be grateful for this Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Please feel free to post your thoughts!